Monday, August 8, 2011

It's a Bonanza of Borders


Here is a center idea that I worked on this summer.  There is a teacher store that is close to my house, where they have a sale room.  I’m very lucky to be so close to this sale room.   However, I can never leave there without buying something, even if I am just going with one of my teacher friends and not planning on buying anything.  The last time we went, they had lots of borders that were 13 cents a strip.  Now who can pass up that deal???  So I of course brainstormed a little bit and then purchased about 20 of them.  This is what I came up with to use at my math centers.

First, I found border that had the numbers 1 to 20 printed on it.  There were only four of those.  So I bought all of them.  For three of them, I cut the numbers apart and laminated them.  The fourth one I left alone, except for laminating it.  I am going to have my students put the numbers in order.  Those who need to can use the numbers on the uncut border, as a reference.  Also, I put a different shape on the back of each set of numbers so it will be easy to fix, if my students put all 
of the numbers in one bag.


Then, I found a border that had gumball machines on it with the numbers 1 to 30.  They had six of these.  Again, I cut them numbers apart on 3 of them and left 3 of them whole.  Then, I laminated everything.  Now my students have a center where they can put the numbers 1 to 30 in order, with a little help from the uncut borders if needed.


Last, I found a Halloween border with squares.  I cut these apart and laminated them.  I am going to have my students make patterns with these pictures.


I hope you have found an idea that you can use here.  Thank you for stopping by.





0 comments:

Post a Comment