Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Beliefs About Education

Happy Sunday!

I have decided to link up with Amanda at The Primary Gal for her beliefs on education linky party.




I have been teaching for almost 20 years (the past 13 years in a kindergarten classroom) and my beliefs have changed over time, especially since I have been teaching kindergarten.

Here are my top five beliefs:

#1  I teach my students like I would like my own kids to be taught.  This means that I strive to be the best teacher I can be.  I don't teach the same things year after year after year. I try to improve the way I teach each year.

#2  I believe that my job as a teacher, especially a kindergarten teacher, is to teach my students to love learning and to love school. These little guys will be attending school for a long time.  I want to make it a fun experience for them, not something they dread doing.

#3  I believe that school should be more than taking tests.  I give my little ones the tests that I am required to, whether or not I agree with testing 5 year olds.  But the tests are not the focus of my classroom, learning is the focus.

#4  I believe that I should teach each of my students at the level he/she is at.  If I have a struggling student, I need to do what I can to help that child.  If I have a student who is excelling, I need to do what I can to challenge that student. 

#5    I believe that I should make my classroom a place of acceptance and where each child feels like he/she is welcome.  I do this by listening to my students and making each student feel important in my classroom.

Thank you for stopping by my little blog.



2 comments:

Nicole said...

I completely agree, it is all about getting the kiddos to love learning!!! Thanks for sharing!

Teaching Eternity said...

I love your second thought! I've never thought of it this way but you're completely correct! I will definitely be keeping this in mind going forth.

Post a Comment